Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ode to Beth


I'd like to dedicate today to a special girl. And by special, I mean the ride-the-little-yellow-school-bus kind of special. My sister Beth, or Boolie as I fondly refer to her (because she hates it!), is 31 years young today. Sadly, she did not ride the short, yellow bus to school...I was her designated driver most of the time. But it was a mini van and she IS special.
P.S. Turn up your volume just a little as you read this, check out my birthday song for Beth ;)

I was almost 19 months old when Beth was born and my favorite story mom tells is about the time 2 of my homies and I pulled 2 week old Beth off of the bed, on to the floor. It was my way of saying, "Get lost, Drama Queen!"

One of my least favorite stories involves a blanket. Imagine, if you will, a sweet little girl, about the age of 4. Now imagine she has a raggedy old blanket: her security blanket. Linus, but with girl parts. And in pink.

Now, imagine a spoiled little brat of about 2, also a girl. Or boy. But in this case, definitely a girl. Imagine that little brat is jealous of her older, wiser, prettier sister. And jealous of her cute little, pink blanket. Now, imagine this sweet little girl, the 4 year old, clutching her blanket in horror as the 2 year old unholy terror screams, kicks, and pitches the biggest fit you've ever seen, all because she wants THAT blanket.

Now, in this story, there is a bad witch. And that bad witch takes the blanket and RIPS it in two, giving one half back to the poor, sweet princess, then handing the other half to the red faced, snotty nosed brat. (Chad added gorilla breathed but he wasn't there, and I can't swear to that fact). Can you see the heartache that poor little sweet Am...I mean girl went through? She was DEVASTATED. She cried her poor little heart out. That was her blanket! There is no telling the amount of therapy due said poor girl, though of course the spoiled brat never offered to pay for it.

And so began a long, turbulent relationship based on theft and jealousy.



However, being the older, wiser big sister, she did eventually forgive the little brat - I mean, girl. Though not forget, obviously. No, never forget.

So, here is my ode to Beth who, strangely enough, resembles that little bratty girl :)


Beth was the only family member to come visit me in Japan, in 2004 (I'm not bitter....I NOT bitter...). Check us out getting our Starbucks on in Tokyo!

Beth, Katie & Ethan in front of Mt. Fuji

We went everywhere, even though we couldn't read a map or speak the language. It was scarier than a rollercoaster!

One of my all time favorites - and check out her legs! The Japanese were facinated by Beth ;)

Jess, Aaron, Beth, & Melissa

Last summer

I can't find my favorite picture of us, taken last year at her surprise 30th birthday party -but wasn't that fun!?



Happy Birthday - I love you!!!

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Beth! I love pictures of all of you guys together. You look so happy! I love the picture in front of Total Telephone. Her legs look a mile long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAN'T HEAR THE SONG BUT I AM LAUGHING ABOUT THE BLANKET PART. GEEZ! GET OVER IT I WAS 2. I COULDNT EVEN WIPE MY OWN BUTT LET ALONE CONTROL THE TANTRUMS. LOL. THANKS SISTER. BETH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I wasn't in ANY of those pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special relationship you two have. It's sweet....

    Happy Birthday Beth! I hope you are very happy this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, Louise, you were prolly TAKING the pictures. And most of mine are in storage - or I did it on purpose. You decide ;)
    And I think Michelle just called us BOTH "special" LOL!

    ReplyDelete