Wednesday, April 28, 2010

God's voice

A couple of days ago, Katie, my 10 year old, asked me what God's voice sounds like in my head. I tried to explain that I don't necessary hear a "voice". I hear thoughts that I know are not my own. I hear Him through my pastor, in conversation with a fellow believer, in the words of a radio preacher, in the lyrics of a song. When God wants to speak to you, He will. The more you tune your ear to Him, the harder you listen, the sooner you realize that He's been speaking all along, you just weren't paying attention!

I've prayed for my husband for years now, that God would speak to him, draw him, "woo" him even. I wanted Chad to have a definitive experience with God, to know beyond a doubt just how much God loves him. I think we all need that knowledge in us. That faith that can't be shaken that no matter what you do, how much you fail, God is always there waiting to forgive and still love you. Just like you love your children, regardless of their faults, He loves you that much...and then some!

Monday night I came home from church to find my husband "listening for the voice of God." He casually told me that God had been talking to him for days, getting up in his business, and he had he decided to seek Him, hear His voice, and see what God wanted from him.

Talk about surprised!

He told me he was tired of running from God, tired of living his own life, tired of being unhappy...he was ready to serve God, go God's way. He said he rededicated his life to God, all alone, sitting at home!

He still didn't feel at total peace. He said he didn't feel "done". I know the devil likes to mess with our minds, tell us that since we didn't feel anything, it wasn't real. But this is all by FAITH, baby! Whether you feel it or not, when God draws you and you respond, it's done!

I knew he just needed to let God touch him, he needed to totally surrender. The next night, last night, he went to church with me, voluntarily, and made a public confession of faith during the altar service. God finished the work, cleaned him up and out, and when Chad got up from the altar, he was a "new creature!"

So, yeah, I've got a brand new husband!!!

I encourage you to listen for God's voice today. Talk to him like your best friend, ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Then, listen.

Oh, and by the way, during that conversation with my 10 year, she told me that she hears God in the voice of Obi Wan Kanobi. So, there you go. How do you hear God's voice?

2 comments:

  1. Always good to hear when prayers are answered. And good to learn when someone else hears the Voice!

    ReplyDelete