Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An Unlikely Hero - Part 1

I decided to read my Bible through in one year again but this time chronologically. And of course I'm already two books behind! I like to stop and study things out and the next thing you know I somewhere in Galatians ☺

But I'm finally in the story telling books - my faves. Joshua, Judges, and so on. This week I started the story of Gideon, who just baffles me. He was SO not your hero type material. Hiding out in a whine press to thrash wheat, in order to hide it from the enemy. For seven years the Midianites had been coming in every harvest season and stealing the Israelites' crops and livestock. And for seven years they had gotten away with it because God allowed them to do so. 

Why? Because they kept going back to the false gods and pagan worship of their neighbors. Also something God allowed. He told them, I'm not going to let you conquer and get rid of ALL your enemies. Instead, I'm going to leave some around to prove you, test you, see what's in your heart...whether you will follow Me or go whoring after pagan gods. 

So, of course they chased after false gods, God got mad and quit protecting them from their enemies, their enemies beat the snot out of them, and they cried out to God. And every single time, He answered and sent a deliverer.

I get upset about this unending cycle, then I remember...we haven't changed much in 3,000 years, have we?! God is the ultimate parent, always forgiving, always allowing an amount of pain to teach His children an important lesson, but always ready with mercy, forgiveness, and deliverance. What a great Father!

Tomorrow I'll get back to Gideon, an unlikely hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment