Tuesday, April 24, 2012

An Unlikely Hero ~ Part 4

I did not intend for this to drag out as long as it has! Truth be told, when I started study Gideon last week, I wasn't a fan. He struck me as a bit whiny, very scared, and not much of a hero. But after going over his story 2 or 3 times, studying it all out, and much prayer, I came to realize two facts:


1. Gideon had a total transformation by the end of his story and becomes the man of valor the Lord called him on day one. (Makes me wonder: is it because God knew the end from the beginning? Or was He speaking it into existence? Or both!)



2. I'm a LOT like Gideon. I need a lot of hand-holding, just to do what God promised me I could do!



I left off yesterday with Gideon tearing down the altar and statue of the false god that his clan worshiped. He seems to have accepted the call to deliver Israel from the Midianites and Amalekites. But read on. Just when you think he's ready to go....he asks for another sign!

And here's what Gideon is probably most famous for: The Fleece. Every once in a while I hear someone say, I'm putting my fleece out (before God). It's our little "test" for God to show us He meant what He said the first time (and 2nd, 3rd, 5th....). We're SO trusting, right?!



But Gideon tests God, albeit, humbly. God, please, if You meant what You said, if I'm supposed to deliver Israel from our enemies and You're REALLY going to help me....

1. Let the ground be dry in the morning, but the fleece be wet. And not only does He make it wet, Gideon is able to wring water out of it. It wasn't damp, it was SOAKING wet.

Now....shouldn't that have been enough? He's already appeared as an angel, make fire appear out of a rock, given him specific direction at night concerning the altar and statue, and now the fleece is wet but there's no dew on the ground....shouldn't that have been enough?!

Well, no, because he's human. Just like me. And no matter how many times I read this wonderful book full of promises TO ME....I just keep testing Him, asking Him for ONE MORE SIGN. Proof that He still loves me (maybe He's changed His mind now that He's gotten to know me!)...that He hasn't left me (cause, really, even *I* want to leave me sometimes!)...that He hasn't forgot me (I mean, what have I done to stand out? Besides some major whining and testing?).

So, yeah. Gideon is my Grandpa, for real.

2. Let the ground be wet with dew and the fleece be totally dry. DONE. If you know fleece at all, you know how well it absorbs liquid. There is no way this thing is going to be bone dry and the ground be wet. Unless....

Is anything too hard for God? Really, the test is a little on the lame side when you consider just who Gideon is testing! 



Now, think about this for a second. God chose the weakest man out of the poorest clan, and out of the tribe that is already divided in two (on either side of the Jordan). He has appeared to him, given him sign after sign. What does this tell you about God?

It told me that He is SO kind, loving, and patient with His most timid, weak, inhibited children. And time and time again, I'm that child. He didn't rebuke Gideon for asking for a sign. He didn't say, Again with the tests and signs? Nope, that's it, I'm done. I'm moving on to the next guy!



Why? Why does He bear with us? Why does He keep coming back to us, again and again, even though we've ran off, pushed Him away, ignored Him, tested Him, disbelieved Him?

The only answer I can come up with is this: He must really, REALLY love us. Really.

The only thing I can compare it to is the love I have for my children. I love them unconditionally. If they push me away, disobey me, try to distance themselves from me, it upsets me...but I keep working on them, pulling them back to me. I keep providing for them, cooking their meals, washing their clothes. In fact, I start looking for ways to do extra, just to show them how much I care, how much I love them.

Sound familiar? The story of the Old Testament can be wrapped up in two words, for me:

Unconditional Love.


Looks like part 5 tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment