Friday, August 12, 2011

Ben's 1st Day of School - Pt. 2

So, after I took Ben to his first day of Kindergarten (we skipped preschool, for the strangers in the audience), I was positively giddy with the possibilities: lunch by myself, a leisurely (omgosh, so that's what that word looks like!) walk through a store or even (GASP!) a BOOK store...OR...Starbucks and a book....I almost started crying at the thought!

Then, remembered my hateful, anti Starbucks budget and headed to McDonalds. Oh my gosh, the irony of going to McDonalds without Ben on my first childless day just hit me right in the face.

A caramel frappe (try it and you'll have me to blame for the new addiction) later, I headed to one of my favorite kid-unfriendly stores, TJ Maxx. Yes, I walked down almost every single aisle, touching glass vases and pouring through racks of clothes I didn't need just because I could. 
Because Ben wasn't yelling, "CAN WE LEAVE?!"

I went to the post office and mailed some packages without worrying about Ben going nuts in the line. I smiled at total strangers because I was happy. Not stressed. Not playing 101 questions on what I could buy/do/take him.
 

Okay, I'm starting to feel bad, lol. Ben is not a monster. He's not even a brat. He may be a little hyper active, I'm starting to realize, like his daddy. Hmmm.



So anyway, my day was wonderful. I went grocery shopping, something I loathe doing with Ben because he wants to touch everything, buy everything, and then freak out when I take too long. I'm starting to realize how little patience he has. 

Ha! I'm gonna tell God on him, now that I think about it! He has ways of producing patience ;)


Anyway, I ended up spending 4 hours in town, then came home and cleaned my house from top to bottom, including mopping & vacuuming and dishes...just in time to pick the kids up from school. I felt so productive! And happy! And calm! 


I know I'll look back one day and wish I could do it all over again. At least, I think I will. Everyone says you do and I already miss the baby days. They were good years, but I'm ready for the next stage. He's ready. It's time. And it is looking good!

I'm looking forward to all the work I'll get done while the kids are in school, so I can better enjoy my evenings with them. I am tired of hearing myself say, I can't play with you right now, I have to finish something. 


Oh, funny story (to end on). I actually sat in a parking lot yesterday and talked to Beth on the phone for an hour, while waiting on the bank to open (I had no idea they don't open till 8:30am!). I kept thinking, Ben would be freaking out right about now saying, "Can we GO yet?"
 

Today I had to run some errands and he was with me. I came to a stop sign and had to wait for traffic to slow so I could pull out. Sure enough, I hear, "What are you waiting for!?" I turned, gave him my Oh no you don't! face and he just smiled sheepishly.

A few minutes later I pulled up to a red light. Not 10 seconds later he yelled, "GO!" 

Yeah, I won't miss that part at all, lol. I gave him the Do Not Tell Mommy What To Do speech for the 10th time today, wherein he apologized, per usual. Which lasted 5 minutes. Per usual. 

Did I mention I've been praying for his teacher?!

No comments:

Post a Comment