Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday sermon

That's how long the song I shared with you a week ago has been #1 on the Contemporary Christian Music Charts. (That was a mouthful!) Looks like I'm not the only one that song is speaking to, eh?!

I still slow down whatever I'm doing and soak in the words every time it plays on my phone or radio. God's little reminder that whatever I'm going through, it's all a part of His great plan for my life. The good, the bad, the hopelessly overwhelming. So, congrats, Laura Story! May the success help pay your bills so you have more time to write anointed songs for the rest of us :)

Today I taught part two on the life & times of Nehemiah in the adult Sunday School.
Nehemiah is such a great example, not only as a Godly leader but also as a Christian. 

First, when he received the report that his homeland was still in disarray, unguarded and not being rebuilt, he became burdened. He fasted, he prayed, his countenance was changed, saddened. So much so, the king noticed and asked Nehemiah what was wrong with him!

Too often it's easy for me to ignore the chaos I see around me or tune out the pain I hear in others' voices and go about my business as usual. All the while praying for God to bless me, give me a burden, let me be a help to someone...and He's already showed me what needs to be done. He's already put someone in my path that I can help, even if just with a hug, a prayer, a phone call.
But Nehemiah didn't pass the buck, he took up the cause and petitioned the king to send him to his homeland, Israel, that he might rebuilt the wall of protection around Jerusalem. 

First, he has to rally the troops. 50,000+ Jews are living in the area and they are whipped, uninspired...not doing so hot. Been there, done that...have the t-shirt, mug, and magnet.
Some are remnants left behind from the carrying away into Babylon but most are the captives that returned with Ezra, some 50 years before, I believe (fuzzy on the dates). They started a good work but they've lost their zeal, their passion to rebuilt the temple, repair the wall, and become the nation God called them to be. 

The Book of Revelations calls it losing your first love...sound familiar?

But Nehemiah is persistent, stubborn in a good way and he fights the good fight to do what he came to do. Fights gossip, rumors of attacks, distractions...all by his fellow Jews! Ouch. What's the proverb, about your enemies being those of your own house?!

And 52 days later, the wall is complete! Nehemiah is so joyful, he forms two choirs to march around the wall and sing praise & thanksgiving to God; they are so loud that the people outside Jerusalem hear it!

Now, God didn't come down there and build that wall for them. He didn't stop the enemy from running their mouth....but He strengthened Nehemiah to finish his task. In fact, that's all Nehemiah asked for:  "O God, strengthen my hands." (6:9) Not, Please get me out of this mess! Or, deliver us, O God! He just asked God to strengthen him to work another day. 
Why does this matter? Because we are all in a fight: a fight to keep worldly un-morals out of our lives, to keep peace in our homes, to be a witness in a dark, nasty world. To remain faithful against hopelessness...it's a fight. But Paul called it a good fight. A cause worth fighting for.

So, when I struggle, when I want out, when I want it to be easy, God help me to ask for strength to endure instead, like my big brother Nehemiah.

1 comment:

  1. I love the book of Nehemiah! He allowed nothing to stop him. I actually wanted to name Zach Nehemiah, but I compromised. I got Zachariah since he could be called Zach (which Lee really liked). :)

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete