Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Goodbye, Comfort Zone!

Most of my family & friends already know this, but about 6 months ago my sister, Louise, & I decided to go into business for ourselves. I fell in love with photography around age 11, probably because of my Dad's mom. She always had a nice camera laying around, the 35mm with all the fancy buttons...I thought she was a pro! 

Every single time we visited her in Indiana, I would head straight for the photo albums. She had, and has, a passion to capture everyone and everything that she loves on film, and she passed that love on to me.

In fact, she bought my very first camera around that time, for Christmas: the 110. Remember those? I thought I was big stuff! I still have pictures I took with my little 110. Thank you, Grandma. (she also bought me my first purse & first nice pair of dressy shoes - Chad says you created a monster & thanks a lot!)

Now, Louise is braver than I am and jumped right in last December, buying the professional camera and all the trimmings she would need to get started. But I am my father's daughter,so I researched & worried for 6 months before I finally took the plunge last month and bought my own set up.

We named our photography business Forever Photography because, even though nothing material last forever, pictures are probably next best thing for preserving a memory. We designed the website, www.foreverphotog.com, printed up business cards, added a Facebook page, here, and started praying. Seriously.

Louise called Grandma and asked her to pray. Grandma went one step further & added our new little business to her prayer chain. Three days later, we had 3 jobs!

Don't you love Him?! I love how HE loves moving even in the little things, the buried desires of our heart.

So, it began. It's been soooo hard for me to step out of my comfort zone in some areas. Dealing with strangers face to face, setting a price and sticking with it, editing to please the customer, not me (still working on that one!).

But I love it! I'm so glad we did this. I didn't want to wait another 10 or 20 years and look back to thing, Why didn't I at least try?! I already have a few of those regrets and I'm trying hard to not add to the list.

In honor of jumping out of my comfort zone, I just signed up for something totally cool and new for me:  World Wide Photo Walk - thanks to my cousin, Linn.

Please, keep us in your prayers. I feel so honored when someone chooses us to shoot their portrait, birthday, or wedding. In fact, I have to stop myself from talking them out of it! I want to tell them, but this other lady is SO good!

Which is why we're cheap ;)

Have you stepped out of your comfort zone lately? Tell me about it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited! I can't wait to come see you guys! Also, I think Chad and Tim can blame me for the more expensive cameras. Mike and I insisted Louise try out our big DSLR's last year at the Apple Barn. :o)

    ReplyDelete