Thursday, July 16, 2009

From my garden

Look what I found in my little garden last week:

My very first harvest!!!
I LOVE watching my cucumber plant grow; it's really the most amazing plant. It's little, skinny tenacles are constantly reaching out farther and farther, stretching and pulling the plant along with it, to new territory. What started as a little starter plant has grown into this long, beautiful, vegetable-producing plant:

How cool is that?!
Just a few days later, I found this little guy hiding under a leaf:

He's about the length of my pinky finger here. Yes, HE. Remember my rule switch - ugly, knobby, green things are male; beautiful, elegant flowery things are female. My plants, my pictures, MY rules :)


So, I peeled, sliced, salted, and ate that thing down, after taking pictures, of course. Immediately after, I wondered if I should have offered up my first fruits to God. But then I figured,that was Old Law, we are under grace of the New Law, which, coincidentally I said (grace, that is) before swallowing it down.

Yum!

Then, low and behold, more delicioso vegetabilio (just made that one up!):

Three whole tomatoes! That's more than I eat a year! I hate tomatoes, except for an occasional bite of Chad's juicy cheeseburger, or in ketsup. I grew these just to say I grew 'em. And to make my husband and father happy. Apparently no farmer worth their weight in grain has a garden without tomatoes.

I really enjoy watching little seeds and plants that I put into the ground grow and produce something I can eat. I love watching the circle of life that God put into order those first 6 days of Creation. Something He began so long ago is still feeding me, six thousand years later - how awesome is that?!


Here are a few more pics of my mini garden. I only have the tomato plant, cucumber plant, and pepper plant:


Blooms on the cucumber plant

Pepper plant - still no sign of a pepper, just yet. Also, I think it has a virus, aka, a bug. Should I spray it with some kind of pesticide? Anyone know of a good, all natural - or close to it - one to use? Course, I don't eat peppers either, so if you tell me about a dangerous, unnatural one, it's only Chad & Dad that suffer ;)

3 comments:

  1. Amy, I don't like tomatoes either but love to grow them. Just recently learned that I do LOVE fried, green tomatoes with remoulade (sp) sauce!! Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a garden planted in pots and raised beds this year - it is a small garden! I found plants being eaten down to the grown level - watermelon, cabbage, pepper. Started stripping tomato plants and eating berry bushes, too. Took 2 weeks but I finally caught the little criter! It thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be a rat. Huh. I'm hoping he was the only one so I can salvage some of my garden. Looks like you have done a good job on yours.
    wb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would die if I caught a rat in my garden! I don't know if I'd strangle him or run away screaming...gardens are too much work to let the rats have 'em LOL.
    I LOVE fried green tomatoes, Christy!

    ReplyDelete