Tuesday, April 21, 2009

P.S.

I have since been told that there is no actual scripture that says Jesus went down into Hell to take the keys of Death & Hades from Satan. Talk about needing therapy! I've heard that one my whole life!

But to clarify, there are scriptures that say Jesus now has abolished death (2 Tim 1:10), and now has the keys of Hades (Unseen or Hell) and of Death (Rev 1:18). Hebrews 2:14 & 15 says that Jesus "destroyed him who had the power of death, that is, the devil."

So we infer from those scriptures that 1.) Satan, at one time, held the power (or keys) of death and Hell. 2.) Jesus now holds those keys!

How you imagine that all came about, whether he actually went down into Hell, as some believe, or Abraham's bosom, as I believe, or if the keys just supernaturally transfered to Heaven/God...it seems to be open to a little interpetation.

I love discussions like this! I appreciate Cassie asking for the actual scripture. I want to know why I believe what I believe, and where to find it in God's Word. I will strive to include more references when I talk about the Bible. This is how I learn from others, and I hope I can do the same for someone else.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment