Friday, May 15, 2009

Party like it's 1999!

Today is the 10th anniversary of the day I married my best friend.

Prepare yourselves...it's about to get mushy!

11 years ago, this past February 1st (my birthday), the hot guy I worked with at Angelo's Rib House asked for my phone number. I was ecstatic! It had been a rough few weeks, rough year really, leading up to my 21st birthday and that was the best birthday present I could have asked for. God knew exactly what I needed and his name was Chad. Ain't God good?!
I like to think I was exactly what Chad needed, as well ;)

And so began our lives together. We dated from March till the following May, when we got married, on May 15, 1999. (Remember that date, babe!)
And the rest is history!
Well, not quite! We actually almost didn't have that first date. Chad didn't call for 2 weeks. We worked together several nights a week and I was going nuts after the first few days. Why didn't he call?! Then, on Valentine's Day, I thought, Oh, he has something really sweet planned for Valentine's Day. He'll ask me out then. But, um, NO.
Sad thing is, everyone else at work assumed the same thing, so when he walked in with nothing - no flowers, chocolates, or even an invite for a first date still - we were all confused! To top it off, the guy I had broken up with a month before actually did bring me flowers and a stuffed animal...to work! Where I worked with CHAD.

So, long story short, Chad thought old BF and I had gotten back together and we didn't get that all straightened out for another week or so. Then, he set up a date around the first week of March (1998). Then stood me up. YEP.

Now, I liked him A LOT by now. He made me weak in the knees ;) But when I found out he'd stood me up because he was busy getting drunk with his best friend, I hit the roof. He apologized and asked for a second chance and I told him, One more chance. You stand me up again and it will be the last time you ever get a chance with me. Look at me being all independent and self assured!

Remember that, Katie.

So we went on our first date, I think March 6th (I remember it was a Tuesday), to O' Charleys. He got the loaded nachoes. I think I got the club sandwich. Yum. I'm hungry!

And so, we started dating.

He was not who my parents thought I'd end up with. Chad was just...strange. And in our family, that's saying a lot; we're a pretty strange bunch ourselves LOL. But he made me so happy. We got along from the beginning. Rarely did we argue, and when we did, it didn't last long. That was important to me. I'd seen too many couples that argued all the time and I didn't want that. I had had that. I craved a peaceful, happy relationship. And that's what we had.
He still makes me laugh out loud at night when it's just the two of us snuggling under the covers, telling outrageous stories he made up just to see me smile. He still makes me weak in the knees when he plays catch with his kids, or pushes his babies on the swing, or rides them around and around on the four wheeler when I know he is so tired from working like a dog for 10 or more hours straight.

He is The One. The perfect one for me.
We lived in Cleveland for 3 years, where we had Katie and Ethan. Then he joined the Air Force and we moved to Japan,where we were stationed for 3 more years, and where Micah was born. Then on to Andrews Air Force Base, outside of Washington, D.C., and where our fourth, and final, Benjamin was born.

Our cup truly runneth over.
Now, here we are, almost back where it all started...

In case I haven't said it lately, Babe...I'd follow you anywhere. To infinity and beyond!

(Sorry, Micah is really into Toy Story right now!)

Here are some pictures (OF COURSE!) of me and my VHH....yes, Very Hot Husband.

This was taken by Katie while we were in Japan, around 2003, 2004
Look how young we are!

This one is from our first vacation home from Japan, so again, 2003


Us in 2006, Maryland

Me & My BFF in October of 2008


And yesterday....my VHH:

He doesn't love my camera, can you tell?


I wouldn't quit till he smiled for me ;)


He's so pretty!!!

So, there you have it. 10 years down....40 more to go. We decided to quit at 50 ;)
PS> For our anniversary, my very awesome MIL (mother in law) is going to come stay with the kids for a couple of days, while Chad & I take a little mini second honeymoon. We've earned it this year! We are going to rent a cabin and take the four wheeler and some fishing poles to a place about an hour or two away, and have some fun!

4 comments:

  1. oh so so sad i almost cried while laughing well if your going to go fourwheeling can you take me with you and get me out of this mosquito infested place PLEASE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story. I'm right there with you on the best friend thing. Of course, we dated for way longer, but I did drag him down the isle and in August it will be 11 years for us! I'm also with you on the hot husband thing. Mike and Chad. Yup. I said it. He's adorable! So is Tim! You girls are so lucky. Of course, I think I am too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary to you both, you are a perfect, beautiful couple with soo many happy years still to come. Hope your second honeymoon is awesome-I look forward to the blog telling how much fun you had :)
    --J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. I love how Casey wants to go with you on your Honeymoon. If she only knew how much time you would NOT be spending on that 4wheeler. Lol.

    ReplyDelete