Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tuesday's Testimony

Every now and then I get the Want My Own Home Blues. I want to be mowing my own grass right now, not Beth's. I want to be planning & planting my own flower garden, not Louise's. I see home magazines and I get half way through them before I have to put it down and walk away. I am a girl/wife/mom and I want my own space!


When this happens, this home lust, I have to turn my mind off of what I don't have right now and focus on what I do have. I do have a roof over my head, even if it's not *my* roof. Mom & dad are gone a lot, so I could actually pretend that it *is* my roof. In real life I wouldn't be able to afford this roof, so I might as well enjoy being here for the moment. (Right, Jessica?)


Which takes me to my next "have": peace. There is peace in this house, even with 8 adults & 5 kids living in one house. That has to be God, of course. We have our moments, but I dare anyone to find another house with this many people in it, that get along any better than we do. I'd say they don't come close. I have a wonderful family and God has blessed our home with peace, in the midst of a should be stressful situation.


"and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:7


And, of course, I have food. Too much food. I have actually gained about 7-10 pounds in the past 10 months. So, I have food, clothing, a roof over my head, peace in my heart & home. I'm being well taken care of by my heavenly Father (and earthly father!).

I am not going to live in worry & stress over what I want but don't actually need. My Father will provide as the need arises, just like He promised:

"Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' ...For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry for its own things."
Matthew 6:31-34

Easier said than done, right? But it must be possible, because He told us to do it. It won't be easy, but I can rest assured in Him, because He will help me! He has my life under control, because I gave it to Him years ago. He hasn't failed me, I've only failed Him when I tried to take back the steering wheel. But no longer! He is my pilot AND copilot...I'm just along for the ride!


PS Beth, I woke up with that whiney song in my head - thanks a lot!


"Isn't it great, when He's four days late, He's right on time!"

Some things that I do *have* and am thankful for:

11 years with my best friend...

and four happy, healthy kids...that's prosperity!

3 comments:

  1. How inspiring Amy! I can only imagine how hard it must be sometimes, but it's true! Your family is amazing. I wish that ours was as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate and I have only been here 2 weeks!! I could have wrote this! LOL I keep telling myself and Lee too that God is working things out even if we don't see how it will all work out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY KIDS!!!!!!!!! HAPPY KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN DO YOU EVER HAVE HAPPY KIDS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete